What to Look for in a Virtual Psychiatry Practice in Manhattan, NYC
If you are considering virtual psychiatry in Manhattan, NYC because you are looking for new care, or you want to make the switch from in-person visits, you are in good company.
How to Find the Best Virtual Psychiatry Practice in Manhattan, NYC
If you are considering virtual psychiatry in Manhattan, NYC (New York City) because you are looking for new care, or you want to make the switch from in-person visits, you are in good company.
In fact, research conducted from a review on studies on virtual psychiatry over the last several decades consistently revealed two interesting facts1: “Psychiatry appears particularly well-suited to this model (Telehealth and remote medical practices)” and “Satisfaction is equivalent to or significantly higher than face-to-face intervention.”
It is easy to see why virtual psychiatry, or telepsychiatry is an obvious success and also highly satisfying method of therapy for patients. The method of treatment in these types of appointments can deliver exactly the same type of care one would expect in an in-person setting, but on-demand and without the transportation time or travel expense.
The rapidly growing popularity of virtual psychiatry does present one challenge to patients; because the demand is there, hundreds of online sites offering telepsychiatry services have popped up, seemingly overnight. The hurdle here is determining which virtual psychiatry practice in Manhattan is best for potential NYC patients. That is why it is essential to take some time to do some research beforehand to make sure you’re trusting your mental health care to reputable professionals.
When examining the different sites that offer telepsychiatry services you can refine your research by concentrating on the following factors to see how the offerings from each practice differ, and more importantly what the level of care will look like for you:
- User Satisfaction
An excellent example of what offerings and level of care should look like from a top virtual psychiatry practice in Manhattan, NYC is listed below.
(Chosen for this example is Skypiatrist, a leading practice described as the “original exclusively on-demand telepsychiatry practice”.)
- Practice provides on-demand care through a wide variety of devices that have working cameras (tablets, smartphones, laptop and desktop computers)
- Practice confirms demonstrates commitment to meeting the immediate needs of their patients with the highest level of quality care
- Psychiatrists can be accessed virtually from anywhere by video, phone or email.
- Practice provides psychiatrists that are medical doctors, not nurse practitioners, to ensure attending doctor has the utmost degree of training for medication management.
- Patients will be able to create and maintain a professional and trustworthy doctor-patient relationship. Practice confirms patients see the same doctor consistently for each session to facilitate high-level personal care.
- Practice does not double-book appointments, so that patience appointments always start at the time requested.
- Practice does not compromise security and privacy by requiring the use of a third-party app in order to access video-conferencing.
- Practice has a secure service for video-conferencing linked directly through their website.
- Video-conferencing software is confirmed as HIPAA-compliant.
- Practice confirms that all information provided online and during appointments is private, encrypted as well as subject to doctor-patient confidentiality laws.
- Practice offers level of privacy unavailable from in-person clinical settings as the only person that accesses patient records is the patient’s doctor.
- Practice provides numerous testimonials to detail user satisfaction in all areas of care
Not all practices are created equally or with the patients best interests in mind. So, if you are considering virtual psychiatry in Manhattan, NYC because you are looking for new care, or you simply want to make the switch from in-person visits, be sure to find a practice that provides professional offerings with the highest level of personal care.
- National Library of Medicine. A Systematic Review of the Use of Telepsychiatry in Depression. Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7547814/ . Retrieved October 24, 2022. Giuseppe, Mastrangelo, Hendrikx, Barbui,: October 10, 2020